Full-Time/Exempt | 32 Hour Work Week
Reports to: Communications + Advocacy Manager
The individual who fills the Events + Social Media Coordinator role will ideally have a strong interest in raising community voices and telling their stories. This person is curious about how design can improve the quality of life for Nashvillians and is driven to share what they know and learn. While sometimes they might seem to fade in the background collecting content and making sure things run smoothly, they are not a wallflower. This individual loves the satisfaction of hitting schedule on a trendy social media video they created and checking the boxes on event-related logistics.
The Events + Social Media Coordinator will proactively research trends and gather stories from the Civic Design Center’s past and present to share on social media platforms. They are proud to be a public representative for our mission. The ideal Events + Social Media Coordinator is always thinking ahead, but can be adaptable and exhilarated by problem solving, which is critical for event execution. They will coordinate all logistics for regular Civic Design Center events to raise awareness and garner support for our organization’s efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
Social Media & Marketing
• Follows the storytelling voice of the Design Center for all assigned external messaging, primarily community education (overall events promotion and social media campaigns);
• Develops and maintains internal and external calendar of events and a standard events process with Communications + Advocacy Manager (referenced as ‘Comms Manager’ below);
• Promotes all monthly and annual events in coordination with Comms Manager;
• Researches various partner/non-profit events and meetings we should be promoting to our audiences for additional community education;
• Researches social media trends, and posts according to the Strategic Marketing Plan on all relevant platforms (Instagram and TikTok);
• Creates visual banners and social media content for community education purposes;
• Supports execution of major social media campaigns, from education to giving;
• Maintains media database for local, regional and national outlets;
Events / Community Education
• Coordinates calendars for event scheduling, doing environmental scans for any external conflicts;
• Supports Comms Manager to coordinate all logistic details of event planning, including securing venue, catering, and beverage partnerships;
• Drafts initial event descriptions for Comms Manager to review;
• Drafts formal invitations to partners and special guests;
• Acts as Event Point during all regular Urban Design Forums and PechaKuchas (in-office and external) to ensure everything runs smoothly, including but not limited to: confirming guest counts, delegating check-in, setting up and breaking down the space, welcoming vendors, security, testing AV, supporting panelists or speakers, and more as needed;
• Supporting execution of annual community education events (ex. PARK(ing) Day), Civic
• Tours and Civic Design 101 Course
• Assists Comms Manager on projects as required or assigned.
• Attends relevant meetings and gatherings to support and promote Design Center projects, programs, and community education.
• Other duties as assigned.
Ability to organize, maintain, and coordinate project files; Experience with Microsoft Office and ability to learn other software programs; Can effectively manage a long checklist to execute event coordination.
Ability to write external social media content, summaries, reports, and business correspondence. Ability to effectively research trends, present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Comfort with speaking to community groups, and the ability to create and deliver presentations, preferred. Storytelling (both visual and written) examples will be required, upon request, prior to interviews.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (BA) OR a minimum of four years of core competency experience in or similar to the following areas of work: communications, design, hospitality, journalism, etc. Relevant experience includes social media management, marketing, event management and community relations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including meeting the required competencies.
• Writing and/or editing experience with digital communications media is required.
• Event planning, customer service, or hospitality experience is required.
• Graphic design, journalism, photography, photo-editing, social media video editing and fluency in other languages skills are a plus.
• Should have a curiosity or basic understanding of urban design and urban planning principles to accurately represent the Design Center’s identity.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The Events + Social Media Coordinator position provides an annual salary range between $45,000 – $55,000 depending upon relevant experience. Compensation includes the Design Center’s standard employee benefits including a 32-hour full time work week.